Sunday, May 2, 2010

A walk I should remember

I forgot, Los Angeles, Ca c.2010

The text in this image embodies what photography means to me and to so many other enthusiasts and professionals alike. I honestly cannot remember where I took this, but it obviously had enough of an impact that I had to take it home with me somehow.

Although I suspect it was taken at the Central Library, I can’t be certain. Not remembering where I walked isn’t very characteristic of me. “Citing your source” is something that was etched in my mind as an undergrad. I also have a freaky memory for the mundane things. Or maybe remembering the mundane things is just part of being a female.

Either way I can’t remember. But I do remember why I liked it so much. I credit the selected quote by Edward Steichen. I was a fan of Steichen before I even knew who he was. I remember checking out a book from the Central library popular culture in the 1930s when I was about 16 or 17 . There were several old Hollywood portraits I loved, especially one of George Gershwin at his piano smoking a cigar. I photocopied it and placed it in a sheet protector in my school binder.

George Gershwin, c. 1927 Edward Steichen

This particular book (which I also can’t remember the title of) and photography pretty much solidified my interest in history, which would later lead into a serious interest in photography. I didn’t know Steichen was to credit until I saw a traveling exhibit at LACMA back in 2008 titled ‘Vanity Fair Portraits’. This is where I saw and recognized so many of the photographs I had seen in that book nearly a decade ago, including that George Gershwin portrait that I had photocopied. By default, he already was one of my favorite studio portrait photographers. All it took was a single quote to remind me of that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment