Sunday, July 17, 2011

Walking with baskets & carts

Mobile pic 2011


I stayed home from work recently. It isn’t often that I take full advantage of a sick day because 9 times out of 10, I’m actually sick. But I needed to clear my head, badly. In an effort to be practical before embarking on my own version of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, I decided to go to the laundry mat.

Doing laundry probably isn’t the most therapeutic activity for most. Actually, I think most people hate it. I remember somewhat hating it as a kid too. My mom would often let the laundry pile up until we were forced to make these trips to the laundry mat an all day event. She’d rarely give me quarters for video games, which didn’t make it any more fun for me. But I also remember the good things that came along with those trips. It was one of the few times we’d eat donuts from the Chinese food/Donut shop next door, tacos from the taco truck on Hicks Ave, or a ¼ lb burger with the fat fries from Jim’s burgers a block away on Rowan Ave. I’d be in charge of a few loads while she managed another set of loads. I'd be the lookout person for an empty machine, folding table or basket. Although she was slightly (very) obsessive over the way our laundry was separated and washed, she didn’t make me hate it. If anything, I couldn’t wait to do laundry MY way one day.

So I started my day off by going to the laundry mat. I rarely see this place completely empty since I usually go on weekends. I have to say it was nice. Just me, my thoughts, and scattered memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment