Monday, March 5, 2012

A walk through a famous lawn



Forever George Bailey c.2012


This afternoon I decided to visit Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale. None of my family members are buried there but I've read there are several famous graves at this location, which is why I thought it would be interesting to visit. Just as I was pleasantly surprised to find Gregory Peck's tomb in Downtown L.A. sometime ago, I was just as happy to learn that James Stewart is also buried in the city. The James Stewart museum is in his hometown in Indiana,Pennsylvania so I just assumed he was buried out there. Well, I guess it goes without saying that he also happens to another one of my absolute favorite old Hollywood stars. 

I became a huge fan in college when I watched films like Mr. Smith goes to Washington, The Philadelphia Story and of course, It's a Wonderful Life. That admiration turned to adoration when I read his biography and learned he had served in the military during the second world war.

Walking through the steep hills at Forest Lawn was quite peaceful and the weather was just gorgeous. It's not that I like cemeteries but I did develop a certain kind of comfort walking through them when I lost my grandma. As I was looked for Stewart's grave at a specific lot, I was intrigued by many of the designs of grave markers I passed. I also cleared off some of the ones that hadn't been visited in awhile since I don't like seeing a graves hidden in leaves and dirt. Something I must've picked up from my mom. Another thing that saddens me are children's graves and couples that are buried together. Just as I was having this thought, lo and behold, I come to find the modest grave of the legendary James Stewart who was next to his wife, Gloria Stewart. The sun was starting to set and the light was kissing his marker beautifully. There were some pennies and dead carnations on top of it which made me wonder how long they've been there. All I knew at that moment is that I wanted to appreciate the find, the weather, the view and well, life. I sat down next to Jimmy and just breathed. That's definitely not something I can say everyday.

I'm shakin' the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and I'm gonna see the world! ~George Bailey 




No comments:

Post a Comment