Monday, February 22, 2010


I haven’t forgotten about this site. I’ve actually been itching to figure out a way to stay disciplined in order to keep myself from reaching too far back into my memory bank. Year’s end was complicated, messy, and a bit overwhelming but I’m happy to report that my head is nearly screwed in properly again.

I’ve been without proper personal Internet access for about 6 weeks, and in this day and age, can seem like an eternity. My phone has been my portal to the world and my sidekick when I’ve gone on various leisurely photo shoots. My phone isn’t my camera of choice as I’ve mentioned sometime ago, but again, I have to admit it has come in handy.

Recently, I was scrolling through some of the photos I took with my phone, I remembered this a particular time I took a walk with my boyfriend along 4th street. There is a small pocket of nice restaurants and bars in between Main and Los Angeles. It’s crowded and busy during the Art walk which occurs once a month, but most evenings the streets are quite bare.

After dinner late one evening my boyfriend pointed to an old dimly lit sign. “Klyt” We laughed at the possibilities of what on earth this place could be. We speculated and it was safe to assume its sexually oriented although I’d find it hilarious if it turned out to be a daycare center or a Pentecostal church. We wondered… was this some after hours lesbian bar? Too obvious perhaps…Is this L.A.’s own “Rectum” as seen in the movie “Irreversible”.
I also wondered how long that place had been there. It isn’t too far from the toy district and I had walked past this hole in the wall countless times. Clearly, I was less observant in my youth.

I had asked a few people who were familiar with the area if they had ever heard of this place. No one knew …or wouldn’t admit that they knew. For one reason or another I quickly forgot about Klyt.
Months later, here I am, stumbling upon an archived picture on my phone. I “googled” the name and upon some light investigation, it turns out it opened in the early 1920s and is one of the city’s oldest bathhouses and a speculated favorite of Rock Hudson.
I’m not sure how much is written about this place, or if any of the floating information is fact but I’d be curious to know more about its history. I’m not sure when I’d be able to look more in depth about this pocket in the city but it does make me wonder what else has surrounded the immediate area over the last 90 years. It would be really interesting to find out…

No comments:

Post a Comment