Wednesday, February 22, 2012

An contagious walk



How original...


The flu. I find it more annoying than painful because it disrupts everything I want to get done (or the option to postpone what I want to get done). It's such a waste of precious time. Even more wasteful than sleep. Having battled the virus all week, I was literally sick of not being productive on my personal things. Well, Saturday morning I decided I'd leave the house... if only to buy more medicine and food.
Somehow I justified taking the train to downtown to pick up more dayquil.

After picking up some tissues and medicine, I thought I might as well go to the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) which is only a few blocks away. I hadn't visited in ages and there was also a temporary exhibit on the works of Weegee that closes on the 27th. As soon as I walked in I saw a sign that reminded visitors that photography is not permitted. Right...


"I have no inhibitions and neither has my camera" ~Weegee


I first came to like Weegee when his work was exhibited at the Getty about 7 years ago. His raw photographs of murder scenes and fires were the kind of photojournalism that I find quite fascinating. This exhibit, however, was more tongue in cheek since it has to do with his observations of silver screen old Hollywood and Los Angeles in the 1950s during his 4 year residency.

My absolute favorite display of works were the red carpet pictures that captured the reactions of the fans, ushers, security guards and other photographers as celebrities walked by. There were other sections that displayed his manipulated and distorted images, which are quite impressive considering this was lightyears ahead of the digital age.

Every now and then an exhibit inspires me and this one was one of them...almost enough to buy the $50 book at the museum shop. Almost. There's always the library, right?

Weegee. Google him. He's worth looking into.


No comments:

Post a Comment