Friday, June 12, 2009

A walk through the metropol alley

Urban decay is fascinating and photogenic to me. Aside from the disappearing objects I love to photograph, there are other things I like to capture, such as rust, death, abandonment…on inanimate objects…for the time being.

Near my current residence, there are several walls covered in artistic graffiti. As a result, this attracts an annoying amount of photographers always using these walls as backdrops for ads, cd covers or mere additions to their portfolios.

One afternoon I took a stroll around these coveted walls and saw an interesting alley. On one side was a nice restaurant called the Metropol and on the other side was a fenced off abandoned building. Although the building was an interesting sight, the objects along the fence caught my attention.

There was a dead leaf on the loose gravel near the fence. The light hit the leaf in an interesting way and I liked the texture of it. The more interesting question to me was, where the FUCK did this leaf appear from?? There aren’t any trees nearby since it an alley. I took the picture. Most that see this don’t know that there isn’t a tree there.

It’s hanging at the freestyle photographic supplies gallery until 6/12/09. I should’ve titled it.


Untitled C.2009 Los Angeles, Ca

Right beside the leaf was a pole with a very rusted chain on it. Observing that this “alley” was also a diagonal single file parking lot, I wondered what the former purpose of this chain was. Clearly it hadn’t been touched in a very long time.

Never break the chain C.2009 Los Angeles, CA

At the end of the alley was one of my favorite finds; a cement covered railroad track. I’ve recently started collecting pictures of where the local railroad tracks suddenly disappear.

Urban coverup C.2009 Los Angeles, CA


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link to your blog, Vasthy! Your photos are amazing and take a, literally, closer look at L.A. I hope to see more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete