Friday, June 12, 2009

A walk through street corner churches

Growing up in a strict Christian family, I learned various parts of the scriptures. Parts of the new testament made me wonder if modern "megaphone" preachers were purposefully not practicing what they preached. Their methods are very forceful, intimidating and the complete opposite of the speech methods of Jesus Christ. After all to be Christian is to be Christ like, yes?

Christlike? C.2008 Los Angeles, CA

Later that day I drove down to Hollywood and Highland and decided to walk around for awhile. That intersection is the tourist capital of the city. The highlands on one corner, ‘Ripley’s believe it or not’ museum adjacent to it and a huge store of Hollywood souvenirs across from that. That day I witnessed something very unusual. There were 4 people, one on each corner holding signs that warned people about the end of the world and to turn to Christ. Big yellow signs spoke for them selves so there wasn’t a need for megaphones and intimidation. I saw an independent news crew interview one of the men as I crossed the street. After they were through I spoke to him as well. He was from a small church in Arcadia and were there for about 6 hours. He said they stood there silently with their signs ready to answer any questions people may have for them.

I didn’t stick around to find out but I would assume this was a more effective way than yelling in a condescending manner. Either way, both men were able practice what they believe to be true. It’s a freedom most take for granted.

Competition Juxtapose series C. 2008 Hollywood, CA
Believe it or not Juxtapose series C.2008 Hollywood, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment