Thursday, June 11, 2009

A walk through the Pompidou

Pompidou C.2002 Paris, France


A Parisian reflection

I have fond memories of walking the streets of Paris alone. I spent a huge amount of my free time near Chatelet-Les Halles. Dozens of postcard shops, the Centre Pompidou, theatres, the mall and my favorite internet cafĂ© were all in that area. With my student pass I’d go to the pompidou centre quite frequently.

One day I went up the futuristic looking escalators and noticed that there was an unlocked door that led to a balcony, with a shallow pond and abstract sculptures. I’ve noticed this spot before but the doors were always chained. I had a cheap little disposable camera (that didn’t even have a flash built in). I always wanted to take certain landscape shots in the city but I always felt embarrassed for taking “artistic shots” with a cheap camera. Even with my regular point and shoot. I’d always see students and tourists with their fancy long lens cameras. I didn’t envy them too much since I felt like I had used up my good luck just BEING there.

The sun was setting on that balcony and I couldn’t explain why, but I just loved how everything looked. The white pipes, the brown sculptures, the steel staircase, the people and the skyline all seemed to neutralize. Not one object seemed to overpower the other. (This isn’t the case from the outside of the museum)

I made sure noone around me could see me, and when I picked up my little camera I noticed the tiny Eiffel tower in the right corner. I felt like a fly on the wall. Quickly I snapped my shot and had no idea what it looked like. It wasn’t until months later that I developed that roll of film. That shot was one of my only artistic attempts of the entire trip. Better than none I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment