Thursday, June 11, 2009

A walk through multiple roadblocks


Los Angeles isn’t a city that is synonymous with the act of walking. Geographically, this city is incredibly spread out and lacks an efficient public transportation system. We do have one, but it fails miserably in comparison to other metropolitan cities in this country and the world.

I’ve lived in some major pockets of Los Angeles throughout my life. I lived in Lincoln Heights, East Los Angeles and South L.A.. My family never owned a car while I was growing up and our only means of transportation were the available rails and buses.

Sunday bus schedule C.2007 Los Angeles, CA

We were completely at their mercy. Hour long waits were normal as were multiple transfers. 3 buses to get to my elementary school. I remember the lines too. The 18 westbound on whittier blvd, the 251 northbound on soto street, and the 68 westbound on Brooklyn Ave(Cesar Chavez). K- 6th grade. Once we moved to Florence, I was set on not changing schools again. My commute consisted of the blue line to downtown, run to 6th and hope to catch the 18 Eastbound to Garfield high school. It was during this time that I witnessed the demolition of a section of the convention center and the day to day construction of the staples center. I remember at age 16, wishing I had a camera to capture the daily progress.

Upon graduating from college, I decided I desperately needed a car to advance in this city and not merely survive in it. Upon finally saving up enough to buy a car, I never looked back. I figured I had paid my public transportation dues for a lifetime and kissed this city’s system goodbye.

Sunset on Hope C.2007 Los Angeles, CA


Then I came upon a turning point 4 years later in 2008. I had to readjust some of my big plans and had to pursue them in a different order. I was on a photoshoot for a class project in the desert one January weekend and my car simply gave out on the way home. I was immediately wiped out of any savings I had acquired in order to fix it. Not only that, I had to drop out of school in the evenings. I was back to the 4 hour daily commute and back to taking 3 buses to get to work.

The coverup C.2007 Cabazon, CA

I didn’t understand what the lesson was. I had paid my transit dues, I was finally at a place in my life where I could begin my photographic education and I was never unappreciative of my vehicle. But there I was again, spending more money on a daily basis because I was taking multi city transit lines.

During this month and a half period, a lifetime of bad metro memories flooded back. After working so hard I felt like I had taken a million steps back for several reasons. However, it was during this month and a half that I began to see things in a new light.

While walking and waiting, I began to pay attention to things that were disappearing before my eyes. Mailboxes, newspaper stands, and phone booths. I didn’t wonder why they were disappearing. Of course I knew. What I did wonder was just how “obsolete” theses objects were since I constantly witnessed people using them. I was walking more, and revisiting crevasses I hadn’t walked through in years.

Eventually I got out of that minor hole and began to execute an idea I put on the back burner for years as well as refine my ideas into my transportation “roots” What little things have I missed and ignored as I zoom through the streets of LA?

I began to notice phone booths more and more. I was able to put this idea into practice when I was able to go back to school once again. What started out as a simple typological study for a class project has evolved into a very personal project of mine.

Untitled series 1 of 500 C.2008 Los Angeles, CA

I understand the idea of photographing the decaying and the disappearing isn’t new and discovered other images of a similar nature after I had started. But my approach to this has been refined to the city of Los Angeles, and the avenues of my various commutes in my life. In this sense, it belongs to me.

Most importantly, my objective is to collect the disappearing through a disappearing medium, 35mm film. On several occasions I’ve been tempted to switch to the digital format on this project only because the access to develop and print film isn’t convenient at all and quite expensive. But I truly feel like I have to stick to my guns on this one. Plus black and white prints are simply richer than digital grayscale, and you cannot convince me otherwise.

Departure C.2007 Los Angeles, CA
Even though I feel a very special attachment to this horrid city, I’m only one of several million Los Angelenos and this is simply one person’s point of view.





No comments:

Post a Comment