Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Blurred vision

City hall through head grease
Los Angeles, Ca c.2010

I know the MTA billboard campaigns are aimed to point out the many advantages of using public transportation. I won't argue against those advantages. The most obvious that comes to mind is the environmental contribution. After all, it's a known fact that the city of Los Angeles is one of the worst places in the world for air quality.

That's about all I can contribute to the "pros" list. I'll think of more advantages once my situation changes. Hindsight is always 20/20 right? I do like that I am able to appreciate the scenery through my daily commute through Downtown Los Angeles, just like the old days. I can't read in transit because I get motion sickness. Honestly, I would be able to devour books on a weekly basis if it wasn't for that little annoyance.

One evening on my bus ride home, I sat down in an empty row and immediately noticed my view was blurred. Even though my eyesight has been slowly deteriorating due to the strain of my day job, I knew this blurred vision wasn't caused by poor eyesight. The blur was on the interior side of the window. I instantly recognized the texture. It was head grease.

I remember the first time I solved 'the mystery of the nasty slime' when I was in high school. I would usually try to get window seat because if you dosed off, you could always rest your head on the window instead of embarrassingly mimicking a souvenir bobble head. I've seen others do it. I've done it. I did it this morning. To continue with the story, one early morning I snatched a coveted window seat. Just before I rested my head on the window I realized there was a noticeable blur. I knew I wasn't that sleepy. I nearly brushed my nose against the smeared gloss as I inspected what this could be. The obvious solution in my groggy state of mind was to touch it with my index finger. My finger slid upon contact. Almost as soon as I touched it I quickly retracted it in horror. I wiped my finger on the seat over and over until the tip got red. What the hell was that?? Just as I asked myself that question, it was all made clear. A man in front of me was asleep and had his head rested on the window. Several stops later, he woke up and exited, and also left a blurry window for the next passenger. To be honest, this man didn't have an obvious amount of gel. I don't think he had any based on his appearance. That was nature made.

Since then, whenever I've come across a blurred window, I simply move. I would rather stare at a complete stranger in a parallel row or stand up for an undisclosed amount of time rather than to gross myself out from a triggered memory. Although my latest reaction, much to my surprise, wasn't to move seats or stand up. It was simply to pull out my camera...




No comments:

Post a Comment